RCBO Racing
Welcome to the RC Burn out Racing Forum.
If you are not already registered, please take the time to join our community, I can promise a great experience in large scale RC.
WITHOUT being REGISTERED or SIGNED in, you are ONLY viewing a small part of the forum..

Thank you & Enjoy your stay.

Large Scale Drag Racing Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 58 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:36 pm
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

Share | 

FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
rlindsay1

PostSubject: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:04 am

I got a 4X4 FG Baja Competition. We are building a TS motor for it. I see on YouTube that some people are gettng these things up to 80 - 90mph+. Are they doing this with the 2-wheel Baja or the 4X4? Can you get the 4X4 to go that fast, and if so, what gear set should I use?

Thanks in advance for your help as I am a newbie at this...

RL
Back to top Go down
rlindsay1

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:08 am

By the way, the TS is a 28.5 with a 1mm stroked crank.

Then it is a 29.5
Back to top Go down
Dominick999

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:26 am

The ones you see doing 80 & 90mph are running a big single speed set of gears, they are just 2wd and may have a speed diff and bigger pinion on the drive gear.
As for doing it with a 4wd, I have not seen one that fast, I have seen them run at our track, they seem ok, but I think your limited on swaping out the diff gear and going with a bigger pinion,,, if so, its gonna be kinda hard no matter waht motor you put in there to do 90.

modojojo
Forum Contributor

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 am

Forum member MiamiBaja has a 2wD setup that has pushed 90+ speeds. 4WD Is heavier, more moving parts, It will be difficult to attain such high speeds. You have a nice engine , try to remove as much weight from the car as possible.
Back to top Go down
rlindsay1

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Pete,

I need that gear set that we talked about. I think that it was a 28/36. Is there anything faster that won't cause me to have to retrofit? Please send me an invoice so I can get it from ya.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
MarderMan
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:25 pm

rlindsay1 wrote:
Pete,

I need that gear set that we talked about. I think that it was a 28/36. Is there anything faster that won't cause me to have to retrofit? Please send me an invoice so I can get it from ya.

Thanks
That ratio won't work on a 4wd diff gear. The diff gear on the 4wd is way bigger than 2wd making you very limited to using smaller gears on it Mad

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 pm

1. What gear set can I use to get maximum mph (about how fast will that be? Estimated, of course.

2. Can I change the 2 speed to a 1 speed, then use the 28/36?

3. Any other suggestions?

4. Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
Dominick999

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:38 pm

MarderMan wrote:
rlindsay1 wrote:
Pete,

Thanks
That ratio won't work on a 4wd diff gear. The diff gear on the 4wd is way bigger than 2wd making you very limited to using smaller gears on it Mad

Sure it will, hes talking about a spur and pinion, not a diff gear, you can run the 28/36 on there.
Unfortunately I don't have them here, you can get them from him: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rlindsay1

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks Pete,

I swear, i was about to start pullling hair out over here!! I will order them now. I guess I need to start looking for a used 4X2 FG Baja....

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Dominick999

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:43 pm

lol dont pull any hair out!
There out there, you'll come across them when your not looking, thats the problem..
good luck

rlindsay1

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks. I just ordered/paid for the "high speed" gearset over t BigRCParts... I will let you know what speed i get this thing up to.
Back to top Go down
Dominick999

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:58 pm

Do me a favor and put a GPS or radar gun and post up your speed, maybe a video!!
Good luck with it, let us know what you get out of that 4wd..

MarderMan
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:10 am

cyclops

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:37 am

OK. It appears that most people drag race with 5B's instead of FG Baja's (4X2). Is there a reason for that?
Back to top Go down
MarderMan
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:40 am

No, you have it wrong No More people drag race the FG Baja/Marder than the HPI Baja because the FG offers 2 speed and they are alot lighter than the HPI Baja. Now that BigRcparts have the 2 speed coming out, it will be a very good race What a Face

Last edited by MarderMan on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
logon69
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:42 am

Anxiously awaiting the Big RC Parts 2 Speeds Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 
Back to top Go down
rlindsay1

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:32 am

So they are coming out with a 2 speed for the HPI? Have they already redesigned a 2 speed for the FG 4X4 that I can use high speed gears on? If so, gimme the link!!!
Back to top Go down
MarderMan
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:24 pm

You don't have to use a redesigned (2 speed) for the FG 4wd Baja. All you have to do is, cut the layshaft to the length that you need.

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:28 pm

I already have a 2 speed tranny on the car. The problem is that based on what Im hearing, high speed gears wont fit. I was wondering if there was some way that someone has redesigned the tranny (2 speed) so that i can run something other than 26/38.

Thanks for your help
Back to top Go down
MarderMan
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 pm

You can run any ratio you want in singel speed. There is no limitation on what you can run on the transmission. The only limitation you have is on the diff gears, you can't run anything smaller than a 48 tooth on the diff gear.

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Hopefully, I am not aggravating you guys with all these questions... I want to keep a two speed on the car. I have seen videos with people running 2-speeds at 90mph. I have learned on this thread that my 4X4 will not be able to reach 90+ speeds, but with a 2-speed, I can still enjoy bottom end torque and a little high speed on the top end. The current 2-speed on the car is limited in what gear sets it will take. I know that I am not the only one that has faced this problem, so I was wondering if someone had redesigned a two speed that will fit. After talking to Pete (thanks Pete) on the phone, I found that the 3-speed would work, but some cutting, tweaking, etc would be needed as well.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question   

Back to top Go down

FG Baja 4X4 Competition TOP SPEED Question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RCBO Racing  :: 1/5 Scale Forum :: FG Modelsport-
Jump to: