RCBO Racing
Welcome to the RC Burn out Racing Forum.
If you are not already registered, please take the time to join our community, I can promise a great experience in large scale RC.
WITHOUT being REGISTERED or SIGNED in, you are ONLY viewing a small part of the forum..

Thank you & Enjoy your stay.

Large Scale Drag Racing Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Another Busted Pinion Bolt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
skipster2008

PostSubject: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Well I have put it off long enough I think.. I've went through at least 5 pinion bolts since last summer.. I dont know if its the cold NY weather, if I am doing something wrong but I am tired of fixing the 5b.. And I think my drill is tired of drilling out these damn busted pinion bolts..

So I come to ask..

What should I upgrade to?

Turtle Racing Clutch System

VP Clutch Bell

Or do or get something else??

Help me out guys, a lot of the guys I know run the TR System but its going to put a big hurt on my checking account but if thats the part I need then that be the part I get I guess..

What are you guys running, are you still running stock, or something else?? I need some advice please.. I hope to have a good running and condition Baja before Spring gets here because I want to do some racing and get up to Baja Fest and do some racing out in Brooklyn too..
Back to top Go down
logon69
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:38 pm

I have yet to break one. EVER! Im not sure why everyone has this problem but I run an ESP 30.5 and there is no shortage of power with that engine.

Do you use a 10.9 grade bolt?
Do you have a washer on the bolt?
And do you loctite the bolt?

These are the things that I do and it has worked for me for over two years now of Bajaing.
Another thing is to not tighten the bolt like King Kong. Just snug it and then give it a little twist after that.

My other question is:
Do you tighten the pinion bolt when you are preventing the pinion/spur with another spur gear holding the gears in place?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 
Back to top Go down
Dominick999

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 pm

One of these would do the trick!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

logon69
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:02 am

LOL Pete you plug whore Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 
Back to top Go down
Dominick999

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:07 am

He asked the best way to stop that from happening!
Thats the answer

logon69
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 am

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down
badboy2
Forum Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 am

i did logon's method minus the loctite and i never broke one anymore..
meanwhile petes solution is good too..
Back to top Go down
skipster2008

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:18 pm

FBFKilla wrote:
One of these would do the trick!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Where can I get one of those??

logon69

I dont use any loctite, I was told not to by the previous owner. He also told me to crank down on the pinion bolt. I am using the pinion bolts that you can get from Hpi I bought them off a guy on one of the forums he siad that those were the best pinion bolts to get because they were Hpi?? Are there better ones out there to buy as far as the pinion bolt goes? What are 12.9??

Thanks guys I guess I'll be spending some cash this week from the sounds of the replies.. But thats ok I just dont want a busted broke down Baja every time out like last year..
Back to top Go down
logon69
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Everything you just said is completely wrong. A 12.9 is a hardness grade. The stock pinion bolts are grade 8 at best. What that means is that is the bolt is a "SOFT" steel. HPI give you the cheapest quality screws you can buy. The only steel that is softer is stainless steel. Stainless is even weaker. DDM has 12.9 grade bolts here is a link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Get a few of them and some blue loctite and DO NOT crank down on the bolt just snug it and give it a little twist more!

Back to top Go down
skipster2008

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:31 am

Man you sure come off a liite harsh I'm new to all of this scratch
But hey "thanks" for your input.. I sure like how they treat guys and reply nicely over on some of the forums!!
Back to top Go down
badboy2
Forum Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:11 pm

skipster2008 wrote:
Man you sure come off a liite harsh I'm new to all of this scratch
But hey "thanks" for your input.. I sure like how they treat guys and reply nicely over on some of the forums!!

hey skip!that wasnt harsh,logon69 is a nice guy..i think he replied in a nice manner..hes one of the nicest guy youll meet in person..hes like a teddy bear hehehe (when hes mad he treats u like a salmon for lunch heheh j\k)
Back to top Go down
estrellainc
Forum Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:43 pm

i have the TR clutch system.
it is worth every bit of what you pay soley because it is guaranteed (no questions asked) for life.

the enclosed clutch sytem is bulletproof in sand and harsh environments.

as far as pinion bolts breaking, i have have good luck with a stock bell and 12.5 bolt. the problem is when the bolt comes loose, it eventually tears up the snout, and often snaps a bolt. try to check the pinion bolt everytime the buggy needs something and you'll soon learn how often it'll need checking.

my onroad gets pinion checked after 3 runs.
the sand drag gets checked for loose screws after every run. i suspect it must be addicted to locktite. scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.carlitoswaybailbonding.com
logon69
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 pm

estrellainc wrote:
i have the TR clutch system.
it is worth every bit of what you pay soley because it is guaranteed (no questions asked) for life.

the enclosed clutch sytem is bulletproof in sand and harsh environments.

as far as pinion bolts breaking, i have have good luck with a stock bell and 12.5 bolt. the problem is when the bolt comes loose, it eventually tears up the snout, and often snaps a bolt. try to check the pinion bolt everytime the buggy needs something and you'll soon learn how often it'll need checking.

my onroad gets pinion checked after 3 runs.
the sand drag gets checked for loose screws after every run. i suspect it must be addicted to locktite. scratch

I have never had a problem with the stock setup with a DDM and A Vertigo carrier. I am not convinced that I need to have a TR system. $200 is a lot of cabbage for something that is not necessary IMHO!

Back to top Go down
logon69
Club Member

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Ok Skipster your welcome! Dont know how I was harsh but it is no problem, I can simply NOT answer your question next time. I have years of large scale knowledge and experience but No sweat off my back.
Good luck to ya over at the other forum!
Was that harsh enough?

Jees you try to give someone some useful information and that is the thanks you get!

Back to top Go down
estrellainc
Forum Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:18 pm

bajafest + FBF?
and
choose VP or TR

for dirt you need an enclosed carrier. TR.
note that there are cheaper fully enclosed units.

for FBF or onroad setups an open style carrier should be fine.
the VP setup has a relief on top that allows debris to enter the clutch housing.
the TR has a race edition.
and again: there are cheaper onroad setups.

I RUN:

sand drag (saints)
TR ENCLOSED SYSTEM w/TR Tranny Plate.
lauterbacher fully adj. off road 4puck clutch.
a true "set it and forget it" setup.

330ft (Blue One)
HPI alloy carrier
Alloy Spur Bearing Carrier
Lauterbacher fully adj. 2shoe clutch (the composite not the teflon)
various TGN CF Pieces/brake system complete the system

there are events i plan to use the TMR clutch and spring. i would never run TMR, Zen, or stock clutch in sand.

there are other setups out there.
logan is right about prices. i have seen it for 189 at daves. look out for specials, ebay, and forum classified for deals. the money you can save will help pay for $$ items you should desire.
i would buy items with a good warranty, it could prove helpful when paying the real cost of racing/breaking/using parts.
g/l
Back to top Go down
http://www.carlitoswaybailbonding.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Busted Pinion Bolt   

Back to top Go down

Another Busted Pinion Bolt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1