RCBO Racing
Welcome to the RC Burn out Racing Forum.
If you are not already registered, please take the time to join our community, I can promise a great experience in large scale RC.
WITHOUT being REGISTERED or SIGNED in, you are ONLY viewing a small part of the forum..

Thank you & Enjoy your stay.

Large Scale Drag Racing Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Be Stihl My Heart

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Darth

PostSubject: Be Stihl My Heart   Mon May 21, 2012 12:48 am

I know ... stupid title ...

Since I had this (it's in great condition) I thought I would use it. It's a (41cc) Stihl 011. From everything I'm reading on the chainsaw forums, they were very "torquey" for their size.

Had I known before I started, I would have looked for something else because (as you know) if you need parts ... it's the Stihl dealer ... most of the time anyway. Live and learn.

Surprisingly enough ... I can get everything I need.

I spent most of the evening cutting away what I didn't want ...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Darth
Back to top Go down
Darth

PostSubject: Re: Be Stihl My Heart   Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 pm

I did a temporary re-assembly so I could determine my exhaust and intake port timing.

If I fabricate and expansion chamber, I'll need this information.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Darth
Back to top Go down
blake hobbs
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Be Stihl My Heart   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:19 am

will 41 cc be enough?, im trying to find a motor of a suitable size but i have no idea where to start, though whatever i do end up using i will probably machine a new connecting rod and piston so it can run alcohol. (but that is just when i get bored).
any help recommending a motor will be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Darth

PostSubject: Re: Be Stihl My Heart   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:42 am

You would be better off waiting for one of the "pro's" to answer this. I'm as new as you are. Lately I haven't even been working on this because of a Kaw Triple I'm working on.

I only started on this engine because I got the entire chainsaw for "cheap" ...

Sorry I couldn't help ... Good luck !! Very Happy

Darth
Back to top Go down
George Lane
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be Stihl My Heart   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:03 pm

From my experience 41cc is fine for tooling around a parking lot, if you want to be competative in a 35+ lb. 1/4 scale drag car you need 70+cc. This is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
George Lane
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Be Stihl My Heart   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Another thought, the port timing and size on chainsaw engines is designed by the mfg. to limit rpm and hp levels with durability and reliability the primary objective unless you have experiance in modifying them it is better left to a pro. The biggest power gain is NOS and advancing the timing. I ran alcohol in my rail and the major benifit was the engine was more resistant to detonation on very hot days. The only changes required for alky was the replacement of the needle and seat with one designed for alkey and seting the fulcrum lever in the carb to lift the needle earlier and higher. You can increase compression by usung a thinner gasket between the block and cylinder. Alcohol is hydroscopic, it attracks water, and corosive. I had to use the non aerosol wd40, available at Napa in 1 gal cans, as a after run to flush the fuel system. Drain the fuel tank, put 4-5oz. of wd40 in the tank or connect a small tank with wd40 in it to the carb, restart the engine and run it until it runs rough and smokes like hell and it is ready for storage.
Back to top Go down
blake hobbs
Rookie Member

PostSubject: Re: Be Stihl My Heart   Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:52 am

awesome, thanks guys. Another quick question, i have a spiral ring and pinion gear from a big grinder it is about 2 inches tall (ring) and the ratio is 2.75, think that will be good enough? my dad races top alcohol and thinks that its just going to break. thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Be Stihl My Heart   

Back to top Go down

Be Stihl My Heart
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1